Saturday, May 8, 2010

Gluten-Free Date Night

Jamie and I went on a full-blown date on Friday, something we haven't done in a while. There have been other days where we've rented a movie and brought it home or gone to a quick take out meal with Ben, but this was a movie and dinner, without Ben.

First, we dropped Ben off at my parent's house in the South suburbs of Pittsburgh. Then, we backtracked to the Robinson Towne Center area. We went to see the remake of The Nightmare on Elm Street movie at the new movie theater out that way. We both remember the film from childhood, but Jamie is a bigger fan than I am. I used to watch the films at sleepovers with my Crestline Drive girlfriends along with other films such as The Shining and a movie in which the creepy killer asks the overwhelmed sitter, Have you checked the children yet?

Jamie and I went to a late afternoon movie. He got popcorn, which is naturally gluten-free, and I got Coke. Then, we went to P.F. Chang's. We've never been there before, and I'm not sure if we would go there again, but they have an actual separate gluten-free menu, and I asked to make sure that the menu items that I ordered did not contain eggs or nuts. We ordered the chicken lettuce wraps, and I got a salmon with ginger and veggies. For dessert, I got this flourless chocolate dome thing. After dinner, we went to the R.E.I store, and I semi-impulsively decided to buy a bike. Except the decision was not that impulsive at all. I bought one a few years ago at Wal-mart, and it's just not very good. It's hard to shift gears and hard to use. Maybe it never really worked right. We are picking up the bike tomorrow. It's a pink Townie bike. I like that it's easy to drive, easy to break, and it only has three gears. Our date night culminated with a trip to Starbucks on the way home after picking up Ben from my parent's. During the night, the sky thundered, Harley the dog shivered, and Ben screamed. It was back to real post-baby life. We were glad to get Ben back, but we also enjoyed our night apart from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment