Monday, May 3, 2010

Itchy Neck, Diaper Dilemma, and Gluten-Free at Chipotle

The last few days have been eventful. I attended my sister's graduation on Saturday and had a friend visit on Sunday. Because I wasn't home Saturday, I didn't have as much control over the food as I was eating as I normally would. I ate things that looked like they were wheat free, but I wasn't sure--leftover grilled fish for lunch plus some rice. At a graduation party at my sister's friend's mom's house--some salmon, roasted potatoes and meat. But did one of these things possibly contain gluten?

Ben was itching his neck yesterday, more so than he has recently. There are a few possible reasons. One is that I may have accidentally eaten something on Saturday that irritated Ben's skin. Another is the Desitin. I switched back to this because part of his bum is red and sore. The diaper rash has cleared up along the edge of his diaper now that we've switched from Pamper's Cruisers to Earth's Best to Seventh Generation, but he's been using his bum a lot, and that's where it's sore now. We really liked Pampers Swaddlers, but he started getting a rash all the time around the edge of his diapers. I think it was around the time he switched to Cruisers. Earth's Best are absorbent, but they contain wheat, and that gave him a rash also. The rash is gone with Seventh Generation, but they aren't as absorbent, and he's been getting pee all over him at night. We're going to now try Pampers for Sensitive Skin. There's also Huggie's Pure and Natural, but we've never liked Huggies and have had absorbency problems with them. So, hopefully, these will work. I also am curious to see what cream will help with his sore bum. I'd like to use A&D ointment, but that contains Lanolin. Does anyone have any recommendations for a cream or ointment for soreness? Should I just try Vaseline? I also bought Bourdeau's Butt Paste to try.

Last night, we were wanting Mexican food for dinner, but since Ben was itchy already, we decided not to chance the local Mexican restaurant, since we're not sure if they have anything truly gluten free. But I had read that Chipotle is really friendly for people on a gluten-free diet. Almost everything, except for some of their burritos, is gluten-free.

According to their website:
I want to avoid gluten. What can I eat at your restaurant?
Most people wanting to avoid gluten can eat anything we serve except for our wheat burrito tortillas, our soft wheat taco tortillas, and possibly our hot red tomatillo salsa (there is a small amount of distilled vinegar in it which some gluten-oriented websites still say might be problematic, although most don’t).
Everything else is fine to eat for most people wanting to avoid gluten, including our crispy corn tacos, our corn chips, and our burrito bowls (no tortilla). However, you should know that it’s possible our corn may have a small amount of gluten from potentially co-mingling with gluten-containing grains in the field.
If you are highly sensitive and would like us to change our gloves, we would be happy to do that at your request. Additionally, because our folks work with wheat tortillas all day long, there may be the possibility of cross-contact in our restaurants. We encourage you to carefully consider your dining choices ("Speak," 2010).

Wendy's and Arby's also offer some gluten-free options, but they aren't as extensive. What about you, dear readers? Do you have any good advice about absorbent diapers for sensitive skin, sore bums or gluten-free dining? Signing off, for now. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment