Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Food Allergy Resources, Food Allergy Frustrations

As many of you know by now, my son, Ben, (10 months) is allergic to eggs, wheat, nuts, peanuts and (some) tree nuts. When I first heard the results of his allergy tests, I was sad and stressed. But I wanted his bad eczema to stop bothering him, so I tried to stop eating everything with those ingredients in them. It was hard, at first, especially because I didn't realize how many things contained those ingredients in hidden forms. And candy, good God with the nut warnings.

One resource that has been great is the Kids with Food Allergies Network. They have a enewsletter, a forum, and a facebook page. I mainly just use the enewsletter and the facebook page. Right now, they have some very helpful ideas for snack tips: http://www.facebook.com/kidswithfoodallergies?v=wall&story_fbid=144872768870331.

Two sites that I discovered from there are:
https://www.nonuttin.com

and

http://www.vermontnutfree.com/index.shtml
.

The first website sells many products that are free of all of the eight most common allergens. (As always, however, be sure to read labels.)

The second site is not free of all allegens, but they do sell a candy that appears to be like an M&M but is nut free called a Skipper.


One thing that has frustrated me, however, is that many companies cater to just one allergen. For example, some gluten free bakeries won't bake without eggs, and, if you try to order from a regular bakery or candy store, well good luck. Most places are so afraid of an accidental reaction and liabbilities that they don't even care to cater to people with multiple allergies. Therefore, I'm going to try to support companies that do cater to people with multiple allergies. I'm going to post a list of some of these companies soon.

Happy cooking. Happy eating, and happy shopping.

1 comment:

  1. I relly love your product about skin care. This is a nice and very helpful post about Health.I have enjoyed it from your blog and looking forward to see more from you.Thanks...

    Bruise Cream
    Cure Dry Cracked Feet

    ReplyDelete