Friday, September 3, 2010

The Hunt for an egg-free, wheat free, nut free Birthday Cake

The quest to find someone to bake Ben a nice looking birthday cake has been long and stressful and is finally at an end.

I looked all over. I locally locally. I looked nationally. I even went to New York City.

Bigger cities like New York and Chicago have more options for gluten-free, egg free diners, but the problem is that they usually won't deliver cakes.

Baby Cakes in New York will deliver some baked goods, but they told me when I visited their store that they don't deliver cakes long-distance though they do ship other baked goods. I thought about just ordering cupcakes. But I wanted Ben to have a cake, and the same cake as everybody else. (Aside: Some of the baked goods at Baby Cakes were very good. I especially liked their brownie bites. I wasn't as into their corn muffins.)

Evanston, Illinois also has its own gluten-free bakery. Rose's Bakery. Unfortunately, they do not deliver their cakes long distances either although they do sell some of their other baked good online. I haven't tried their products yet, but I am interested in doing so.

Pittsburgh, PA, also has a gluten-free bakery, Gluuteny, but apparently they mostly cater to people with Celiac Disease because they won't make birthday cakes without eggs. They told me that if I wanted to, I could buy a mix from them and make it myself. I could also do that with a Betty Crocker mix from the store.

Finally, I tried a new route. Instead of mainly searching for gluten-free, I searched for vegan, and I found a vegan cafe in Pittsburgh, The Quiet Storm. The person I talked with there by email was very nice. He recommended that I contact Deanna at My Goodies Vegan Bakery. She's gonna bake my baby a vegan, wheat free , nut free cake. Yay, finally, the search for a an egg-free, wheat-free cake, nut free cake is done.

1 comment: