Monday, April 5, 2010

Allergy Baby

One of the things I worry about is. . .what if Ben doesn't outgrow his allergies?

What if he develops asthma? (I have asthma, so this is not an unreasonable fear).

What if he's that dorky kid with the inhaler and the special food that no one wants to invite over to their houses or to their birthday parties?

What if he has to sit in the corner eating rice cakes while every other kid enjoys Reese's Peanut Butter Cups?

Shopping for his allergies has been challenging. But, luckily, we discovered a store that sells gluten-free products and is close to where we live: http://www.nilajo.com/retailer/store_templates/shell_id_1.asp?storeID=22B87C8A252142BE8EDF2EC0B8D16B07.

The thing is though that we can't really go "all natural." We tried all natural remedies and his skin still flared up. That's because, and I didn't realize this, people can have allergies to all-natural things like coconut oil, aloe or, even, calendula.

Calendula is the favored ingredient in many natural creams, but when you put it on and the wound oozes pus, well. . .

One natural food brand that I'm really liking is Amy's Organics. Have you tried Amy's Organics, or can you recommend any other brands that are friendly to people with allergies?

2 comments:

  1. I do love Amy's Organics. I get their food when it is on sale :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very good. I just ate their Mexican Tamale Pie for lunch. What I'm not sure of is if I should avoid coconut-milk containing products though. I had something really good with coconut milk, but Ben is allergic to nuts, and while coconut isn't the same as regular nuts, some people are allergic to it, so I'm not sure if I should avoid it.

    ReplyDelete