Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Poor, Red Baby

Ben is finally sleeping now, but I'm not sure if I can because he's been scratching himself in his sleep, and I don't want him to wake up and scratch himself for a long time while I'm sleeping.

Like everything else, the Aquaphor helped for a few days, and then it hurt. He probably does have a Lanolin allergy. So we tried just olive oil. This didn't seem to be enough for the most irritated place on his body--his neck. We tried corn starch. The corn starch just dried him out too much.

So we tried Lubriderm for sensitive skin. He cried when I put this one. I gave him and bath and tried Johnson's Head to Toe Fragrance Free Baby Lotion. He got a rash all over him.

Then, we put on Cerave. It didn't seem to cause immediate irritation, but he's been scratching most of the night. For Ben, moisturizes for 24-hours equals irritates for 24 hours. What do I try next? I wish that I didn't have to wait so long for the appointment with the other dermatologist.

I wonder if the Claritin is helping even less than the Zyrtec did. It makes me mad because Ben is the cutest, happiest baby. He wakes up and smiles, at me, at Jamie, at the dogs. He's friendly and sweet, and he doesn't deserve to be itchy and red and sore all the time. There's all this technology everywhere, and yet it's so hard to find something that will help keep a little boy from scratching himself until he bleeds. I just don't understand why science doesn't know more about how to manage this condition by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment