Monday, April 5, 2010

Sometimes a Rash is Just a Rash

Lately, the skin around Ben's neck has been so red and irritated that I was worried that we were going to have to put him on steroids.

We bathed him in oats; we bathed him in Vaseline, and most of the rest of him cleared up except that one area. He was scratching and scratching last night and this morning. The Cerave I put on him did not seem to help. In fact, it seemed to make it worse.

Then, it dawned on my husband that the area where it was really irritated is the area where the throat rubs against the chest. He suggested that we try cornstarch, and then I thought well if it's irritated because it's too wet and not too dry, then what might really help is diaper rash cream.

So we put some Desitin on him. The active ingredient in Desitin is Zinc Oxide, which is used to treat many forms of skin irritation. This explains why his antihistime was not helping to stop the itching.

Some itches are the result of allergies. And some itches are the result of a rash. Sometimes, it is easy to overlook the obvious.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Lori. Did you ever come upon this site: www.kidswithfoodallergies.org. Founded by a mom in Pennsylvania whose child has serious food allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crissa,
    Thanks for the link suggestion. I am not sure if I have come upon this site or not. I've been reading a lot of sites including ones about peanut allergies and a gluten-free diet. I've even found some gluten-free options, mostly at Wendy's. I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete