Saturday, April 17, 2010

Egg-Free Wheat Free Baking

I was so excited to discover Betty Crocker's gluten-free mixes at Giant Eagle the other day.

I thought that I could just use the Enter-G Egg Replacer in the recipe even though the box does say, "It works best in scratch recipes."

The Betty Crocker Gluten-Free Brownie mix called for a half of stick of melted butter and two eggs. So, I put in 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of egg replacer plus 2 tablespoons of warm water. But did I mess up the proportions? Did I use two tablespoons for each one, or is the egg replacer just not going to work for this?

When I mixed the dough together, it was so thick, I didn't know if I could get it to spread in the pan at all. It was more like squish in the pan.

I set the oven timer for 26 minutes, which is the minimum for a 9 by 9 pan. When I opened up the oven when the timer went off, the dough was sizzling. I thought maybe it wasn't done, so I left it in for four more minutes. It may have been overdone because, by the end, it hard started to burn, and it turned out to be completely hard. I don't know if I just need to use another egg replacer or bake from scratch. I saw on the Internet that someone suggested using banana as an egg replacer. But what would the proportion be--one banana for one egg?

I found this egg-free, gluten free recipe on the Internet, but maybe I'll try bananas next time. Or maybe I should contact Betty Crocker to see if they could recommend an egg substitute.

In the meantime, my burned hard as rock brownies are stuck to the pan. I guess I can try digging them out.

2 comments:

  1. My sister sometimes uses pumpkin as a replacement for eggs. If you need egg-free advice, send her an e-mail: weasie_b@comcast.net. Her son is allergic to eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice, Crissa. I think I will email her. --Lori

    ReplyDelete