Wednesday, April 14, 2010

My Baby is Like a Sheet Cake Pan

Ben and Jamie are gone for the next few days. This will hopefully give me some time to catch up on a few things, including cleaning.

Vanicream, though not superirritating, does seem to be somewhat irritating. We're going to try and go as chemical-free or as low chemical as possible.

I know that some people dislike using petroleum-based products on their babies, but we're not about to put stuff with nut oils on a kid with with nut allergies. Although almond oil may be okay, we're not sure. He is not allergic to almonds, but we don't want to cause him to develop an almond allergy. I read somewhere that people are less likely to have a problem with almonds than other nuts. Also, he had a terrible reaction to Cetaphil, but that may have been the other chemicals in it rather than the almond oil. I wish we could use Burt's Bees, but a lot of their lotions contain nut oils. Some of their products may be okay, but I'm not sure if coconut would irritate Ben, and that's found in a lot of all natural skin care products. Some people say it's a tree nut. Some say it's not. The whole thing is driving me nuts.

So yesterday we greased Ben up with Vaseline and olive oil and cocoa butter. The allergist said that sometimes simpler is better. If we try one ingredient things for a while, then at least we know what is irritating him.

I need to go shopping. I'm running out of Amy's Organics Gluten-Free things. These things can be a little pricy though if you buy them at a natural store. I'm wondering if Giant Eagle has some gluten-free Amy's.

I'm thinking of trying this shampoo and lotion, which L. recommended. I contacted the company for a list of ingredients, and it seems like the shampoo and lotion might be okay to try on Ben.

I wonder if I should wait until after the dermatologist appointment though. I don't want to put more money down the lotion money pit. On the bright side though, the facial sore likes like it might really be healing.

2 comments:

  1. Lori, the shampoo did not irritate Joes skin. I never tried the lotion. I hope it works for you! I would recommend getting the little travel size first. I would probably wait till after the appointment, the dermatologist will probably start you back on some products you may have already tried. Be sure to go with a list of products you have used on him and what the results were!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice, Lynn. The results were mostly not good, but that's a good idea about the list.

    ReplyDelete